Ingredients for the Cake ~ this cake serves 8
- 1 ½ sticks butter (I like to use salted, but you can use unsalted for a less bitter cake)
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 6 large eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- A pinch of kosher salt
- Powdered Sugar for dusting
Ingredients for the Whipped Cream Ingredients ~ makes about 3 cups whipped cream
- 1 ½ cups COLD heavy whipping cream
- ¼-⅓ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp almond extract (vanilla will work too!)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- Heavily butter the bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform pan (best...bet any 9” pan will do)
- Combine chocolate and 1 ½ sticks of butter in a glass bowl and microwave in 1minute increments, stirring between each minute until butter and chocolate come together in a smooth mixture
- Combine eggs, sugar, and salt in the bowl of a Cuisinart (if you don’t have one, use a large glass bowl and a hand OR electric egg beater)
- Beat on high until stiff peaks form
- Gently fold half of the melted chocolate + butter mixture into the egg mixture with a rubber spatula until everything turns brown...then do the same with the rest!
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake until the top is no longer shiny and barely jiggles...a knife should come out of the center clean...but only just (30-45 minutes)
- If using a springform pan, remove the springform and dust with powdered sugar**...if using any other baking dish, allow to cool until you see the cake separate from the edges of the pan, at which point, turn the pan over onto a serving plate to free the cake...then sprinkle with powdered sugar
**to dust the cake with powdered sugar, use a fine sieve...poor powdered sugar (or cocoa powder) into the sieve and pat with your hand over the cake...Magic!
Whipped Cream Instructions:
- Combine heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, and almond extract in the bowl of a Cuisinart (if you don’t have one, use a large glass bowl and a hand OR electric egg beater)
- Mix on high until stiff peaks form
- Plop on the top of your slice of flourless chocolate torte, and enjoy!