Toasted Hazelnut Salad
A bright, delicate salad of peppery arugula + toasted hazelnuts + shaved pecorino + lemon-tarragon vinaigrette. I dreamt this one up for a pasta making class I taught last fall. It was a bachelorette party at a gorgeous treehouse home overlooking the ocean in Aptos, CA. It was the girls' idea to toast the hazelnuts in the truffle oil I had brought. Yummmm!
Ingredients (to serve 4):
amounts are rough...maybe you want more hazelnuts and/or pecorino! It’s up to you!
- Arugula (as much as you’d like)
- ½-¾ cups whole hazelnuts (raw)
- 4-8 oz. Good quality pecorino cheese
- 1 tablespoon Truffle oil (optional...but YUMMMM)
- ⅓ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Juice of 4 Lemons
- 1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 teaspoon Honey
- 2 tablespoons chopped Tarragon OR Thyme
- Salt + pepper to taste
- Toast the hazelnuts:
- Place a small pan on the stove over medium heat
- Add the truffle oil - if you don’t have truffle oil, use olive oil!
- Add the hazelnuts
- Allow to toast until you feel like they might just burn, stirring occasionally...should take 2-4 minutes depending on your stove...you will smell them :)
- Make the dressing
- Chop the tarragon OR thyme
- Combine lemon juice, olive oil, dijon, honey, and chopped tarragon in a bowl
- Whisk, adding salt + pepper to taste
- Shave the pecorino! Use the mandolin section of your cheese grater (the one that looks like 1 line straight across) OR use a knife (this is safer!)...just make sure to slice as finely as possible
- Combine all of the ingredients and toss!